12 FACTS THAT SUGGEST THERE’S MORE TO LIFE
Every time I see him I ask him how he’s doing. He shuffles by, avoiding all eye contact with me, and says in a monotone, expressionless voice, “Ooohhh…(long pause)…same as always.” Same as always? What exactly is “same as always”? Is this good? Is this bad? How can one be the “same as always” every day?
As I continue to try to figure Bob out, I think one of three things must be true about him: he doesn’t know me well enough to indulge any personal feelings or thoughts to me, he’s a good liar, or he lives every day in a sort of “hum-drum” life with very little to be excited about.
I suppose there’s something to be said for Bob’s consistency, but I can’t help thinking there’s so much more to life than being the “same as always.”
Let’s consider some facts:
- You didn’t just “happen.” You were thought up, formed, and created by the very God that created the heavens, the earth, the oceans, the sky, the stars, the sun, etc.
- You were created in His image. That means you bear His likeness in some unique fashion.
- This same God created you for His purpose and for His glory.
- This incredible God has laid out certain things for you to do, see, experience, and accomplish.
- As much as you may try to avoid Him, God continually pursues you with wild abandon. In other words, He’s crazy about you.
- It may sound weird, but this great God wants to spend an eternity with you. Despite what you’ve done or said or even failed at in the past, He still longs to be close to you both now and forever.
- This may sound even weirder still, but He left the glorious splendor of His heaven, and showed up here on Earth in the form of a baby. His name was Jesus.
- Jesus, God’s only Son, walked and talked and experienced life just like you. He did this to draw your attention back to this great big God.
- Because this amazing God loves you so much (and because #6 is true), He decided in His perfect plan to create a way for you to spend an eternity with Him.
- God chose to pay the ultimate sacrifice for you by putting this man Jesus on a cross. By doing this, Jesus took the sin, guilt, and shame that we bear, and paid the price for us once and for all. In other words, He bridged the gap between you and God. He bought you back. He paid your ransom.
- Through this perfect plan, the only thing that holds you back from spending an eternity with this amazing God is your choice—choosing to believe, choosing to confess your sin, choosing to accept His free gift of forgiveness and grace.
- I can’t really say the rest is history because you have a whole new life waiting for you. God is excited about His relationship with you. He wants to build into you, grow you up, teach you new and exciting things, lead you places you thought you’d never go, walk you through difficult times, and give you opportunities to tell others about Him.
If you ask me, any one of the above 12 facts is a reason to be so much more than the “same as always.”
Maybe it’s time I share these things with Bob…Maybe it’s time you share them too.
Which one of these facts resonates with you today? Feel free to share your thoughts.