A 3,463 YEAR OLD PEP TALK
a vigorous, emotional talk, as to a person or group, intended to arouse enthusiasm, increase determination to succeed, etc.
- You must lead these people across the Jordan River
- I’m giving you every square inch of the land just like I promised Moses
- No one will be able to stand their ground against you
- I will be with you
- I won’t give up on you
- I won’t leave you
- Be strong and courageous
- Be faithful to the laws–don’t turn away from them
- You will be successful
- Study God’s Word and do what it says
- Be strong and courageous (again!)
- Don’t be afraid or discouraged
- I am with you every step of the way
Joshua had to have felt confident, empowered, and totally fired up. He then commanded the Israelites (estimated to be over 2 million people), “Pack your bags, because in three days we’re crossing the Jordan River.” And the people rallied around their new leader by responding, “We’ll do whatever you say.” Wow!
A God-given pep talk. Perhaps one of the greatest pep talks ever given….certainly one of the oldest!
How can you be encouraged by God’s pep talk to Joshua? Is there someone you need to encourage today by giving a similar pep talk? (Feel free to leave your thoughts or comments by clicking on the “Leave a comment” link in red below.)