GET YOUR ZEAL ON!
- Psalm 69:9 “for zeal for Your house consumes me…”
- Isaiah 37:32 “For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.”
- 1 Kings 19:10 “[Elijah] replied, “I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty…”
- Nehemiah 3:20 “Baruch zealously repaired another section…”
- Galatians 4:18 “It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good…”
In the OT Hebrew, the word “zeal” or “zealous” indicates jealousy or envy. But in the NT Greek, it means to boil or be hot, to bubble over because it’s hot enough to boil. It means deeply committed to, ardently passionate about, earnest, and fervent.
Throughout Scripture we see the zeal of God in a variety of ways. We also see various people being zealous for one thing or another. For instance, in Nehemiah 3 when all different kinds of people were repairing the wall around Jerusalem, I love that Baruch was the only one mentioned who was zealously repairing his section.
Stop and think for a moment what you are zealous for in your life. What kinds of things are you boiling over about, committed to, fervently seeking or trying to accomplish? Unfortunately, and all too often, our zeal is centered on our local sports teams, discontent over our circumstances, hatred for another race or religion, or hours of video games.
The Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Galatia, “It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good…” I couldn’t agree more. What would happen if we all directed our zeal at helping those in need, bettering our communities, improving ourselves, etc.? What if we were zealous about mentoring a troubled youth, loving those people in our lives that are really hard to love, giving to charities, forgiving each other, or doing random acts of kindness? Can you imagine?
Today I will encourage us not only to be zealous for the things aforementioned, but most importantly: “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord” (Romans 12:11).
Go get your zeal on!!